This guide assumes you have installed the Unified Messaging Role, either at the initial installation of the server, or at a later time, using the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet and clicking the Change button on the Exchange 2007 program entry. The following tasks all use the Exchange Management Shell, but can just as easily be configured using the Exchange Management Console GUI.
- Create the Dial Plan, using a 3 digit internal numbering scheme. You can use as many digits as you like (just be sure to adjust all the extension numbers in the rest of the document to use that amount). We will use the number '222' as the extension subscribers (the term for users with UM enabled Mailboxes) to access Outlook Voice Access.
new-UMDialPlan -Name:'3DigitDialPlan' -NumberOfDigitsInExtension:'3' -AccessTelephoneNumbers 222
- Create the gateway entry to the sipX server. Note that you can use an IP address instead, but I i strongly discourage it. Using IP addresses tends to break functionality. For the most reliable experience, use DNS or host files. (FYI - If you emailing me with a problem, and your using IP addresses, the first thing I'm going to tell you to go is configure your DNS or host files)
new-UMIPGateway -Name:'sipXServer' -Address:'sipX.lithnet.local' -UMDialPlan:'3DigitDialPlan'
- Create the AutoAttendant, and make it accessible on extension '299'
new-UMAutoAttendant -Name:'AutoAttendant' -UMDialPlan:'3DigitDialPlan' -PilotIdentifierList:'299' -Status:'Enabled' -SpeechEnabled:$true
- Modify the settings of the AutoAttendant. These can be customised as you desire. We will set the operator/receptionist extension to what will be your Asterisk extension (400), but if you want these calls transferred to another extension, enter it here.
Set-UMAutoAttendant -Identity AutoAttendant -AfterHoursTransferToOperatorEnabled $true -AllowExtensions $true -BusinessHoursTransferToOperatorEnabled $true -CallSomeoneEnabled $true -NameLookupEnabled $true -SendVoiceMsgEnabled $true -OperatorExtension '400' -ContactScope GlobalAddressList
- Associate the dial plan with the server to make it active. Replace the server shown below with the FQDN of your UM server
Set-UMServer –Identity:'dc1.lithnet.local' -DialPlans 3DigitDialPlan
- Enable UM for your mailbox users, and associate an extension for them. Associate yourself the 300 and 400 extensions to allow testing and to receive calls that are transferred to the operator. Replace DOMAIN\Username with your own user account details, and the 'Pin' value with one of your choosing. The default PIN policy is 6 numbers, and this can be changed by modifying the UM Mailbox Policy associated with the dial plan. To edit these policy settings, open the Exchange Management Console, expand Organisation Configuration, Unified Messaging, and click the UM Mailbox Policies tab.
Enable-UMMailbox -Identity:'DOMAIN\yourusername' -UMMailboxPolicy:'3DigitDialPlan Default Policy' –Extensions 400,300 -Pin 893465 -PinExpired $false
So in summary, we have configured:
- Subscriber access (Outlook Voice Access) on extension 222
- The Exchange AutoAttendant on extension 299
- Extension 400 for us to use for testing
- Calls for the operator are sent to extension 400